Hello

Welcome to my Critical Data and Education blog.

Reasons for studying this course

I joined this course as a way of following on ideas we explored in IDEL, in particular the claims for being able to use trace data to measure learning, and use data analysis to predict success or nudge behaviour towards improved outcomes.

I am from a physical sciences/IT background originally, and was always encouraged to be super critical about anything involving numbers; it’s never left me, so I can’t see a number without asking where it came from and where are the error bars.

I have seen instances of data gathered for one purpose, reinterpreted, and applied in another, with terrible consequences: people and numbers deserve better.

What I hope to achieve

I hope to expand my understanding of how data is collected and used in education contexts, and how over ambitious claims for knowledge of students might be countered.

I also hope to be able to see how multidiscipline teams might work together on big data projects, bringing in different strengths and approaches.

What particular aspects of the topic of ‘data’ interests me most

I am interested in the contrast of what can and cannot be measured and how this can be applied.

For more details on this project, read the About page.

2 Replies to “Hello”

1. Look forward to seeing your upcoming data captured and visualisations.

I have to say the following is an interesting statement:
    “I have seen instances of data gathered for one purpose, reinterpreted, and applied in another, with terrible consequences: people and numbers deserve better.”

Somewhat similar to my own view, a hijacking of information for not so honest reasons. Definitely interested in understanding more about how to navigate this.

I would say from my world view that your remark: “over ambitious claims for knowledge of students might be countered” is something that happens in IT or large organisations all the time. People think everything can be captured but there is so much nuance to life that this is rather difficult to say the least.

1. We’ve seen the issues, I hope we can come up with some ways of improving the situation.

I wonder if people who do think that everthing can be captured are very ambitious or just have very little imagination: I mean, really… everything?