I took the sample data set 2 and imagined these were data I had extracted from Moodle on the Principles of Management course that I teach. I also imported the data set into Google Data Studio. I found the Data Studio quite counter-intuitive to use. Like Excel it decides what your graph will look like and then you have to change it. I fing this quite frustrating as I use R for all my data analysis, and this requires the user to imagine the graph and programme R to produce it, so you only get the data and parameters you choose. Ultimately, however, I thought R does not produce the sort of graphics which look like a ‘dashboard’, so I used Excel (I thought it was simpler than Data Studio) to create these graphics. I think I could get used to Data Studio eventually.
I based my data dashboard on the sorts of questions I am usually asked in terms of student / course performance (I realise this cuts both ways). So initially I compiled attendance data as a psuedo ‘engagement’ measurement (it measures presence and this is rightly or wrongly conflated with engagement). I also thought it would be natural to assess performance via the grades, which I averaged across the 4 tests.
I also created a pie chart to identify the readers, those who had accessed the most pdfs (doesn’t mean they read them). This graphic is not very user friendly and on R (and probablt Data Studio) you can add the labels to the slices. But I noted the variation here was quite small. I then compared things like attendance, posting and VLE activity to see if there was any correlation with performance. In this data set only attendance is correlated with higher performances.