Lindsay's Data Visualisation Blog

8 – blowing hot and cold!

This week I chose to track when I feeling hot and cold. This was more difficult than I’d originally anticipated. I tracked when I was feeling hot or cold. It felt like the type of data that could have been richer or more meaningful with technological assistance – eg a tracker that measured my temperature fluctuations and then alerted and I could add reflections on environmental factors that resulted in that. Any technology and associated data that would help with tracking would need to be inclusive; perhaps a data imaginary with a liberal approach would benefit – by using data and focusing on inclusion and marginalised learners (Prinsloo, 2020)

I’ve been thinking about the centralisation of education governance that has featured in education systems, with principles borrowed from the industrial sector on scientific management (Fontaine, 2016). Data displayed in the format I’ve chosen this week feels more scientific to me, than say the visualisation I included for week 5 on questions (learner perspective)! I wonder if that’s part of making sure that the visualisations are appropriate to their audiences?

More recently the authority on education has been redistributed from governments and their agencies to a much wider collection of private and civic organisations (Ozga et al, 2011). In my opinion, this divergence at the governance level acts as an outsourcing and adds another layer to the system but still acts as a centralisation. It also demands collaboration between the private and civic agencies to ensure that rationale and expertise are carried through decision making processes (for example on my hot and cold data!), especially since the data is already removed from context at the local level.

Fontaine, C. 2016. The Myth of Accountability: How Data (Mis)Use is Reinforcing the Problems of Public Education, Data and Society Working Paper 08.08.2016.

Ozga, J. 2016. Trust in numbers? Digital Education Governance and the inspection process. European Educational Research Journal, 15(1) pp.69-81

Prinsloo, P. 2020. Data frontiers and frontiers of power in (higher) education: a view of/from the Global SouthTeaching in Higher Education, 25(4) pp.366-383