Categories
Uncategorized

Block 2: Week 6 Visualization

As we transition into the block of teaching with data, I am yet again thrilled to see how data influences the perspective of the teacher about the learner and how data-driven decision-making impacts Higher Education. To set the ball rolling, I sought to gather data around student engagements and investigate how much the knowledge of such data in the hand of a teacher will influence teaching on a more significant scale (Williamson et al. 2020). 

In order to achieve this, I decided to record all the times I shared my learning during the week. I divided my community into three namely: Learning, professional, and family & friends. Additionally, I recorded the elements of my learning that I shared and the trigger for sharing.  The data was gathered over a period of five days and my findings are as follows.

About 50% of my total learning engagement was focused on sharing about my blog activities and about 70% of the time it was with friends and family. This data in the hands of the teacher can help her know what elements of learning students tend to engage with more and this can inform her planning. However, in some cases, the reason for these numbers might be because am mostly around friends and family when recording data and doing my visualization and they tend to ask me a lot of questions about my drawings and paintings. This is why it is important that teachers are data literate to be able to decipher the reliability and accuracy of the data produced and not take it at phase value. (Williamson et al. 2020)

About 80% of the times I shared my learning on the assigned reading and pedagogy was triggered by either teaching someone something new or learning something new myself. Such data can help teachers know how to classify students in terms of personalized learning. This data can also help in empowering students who might need more support to engage with the content (Tsai et al. 2019).
I was also curious about what triggered the sharing of knowledge and how it relates to my learning. I realized that most of my knowledge sharing was triggered by conversations or my desire to know more about a subject matter. This data in the hand of a teacher can help identify different student personalities and know how to design to shape their learning. 

References 

Williamson, B., Bayne, S., and Shay, S., 2020. The datafication of teaching in Higher Education: critical issues and perspectives. Teaching in Higher Education, 25(4), pp.351-365.

Tsai, Y., Perrotta, C. and Gašević, D., 2019. Empowering learners with personalised learning approaches? Agency, equity and transparency in the context of learning analytics. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 45(4), pp.554-567.

2 replies on “Block 2: Week 6 Visualization”

Your visualization looks like data lollipops! It was a neat idea to try to capture your learning interactions. I wonder how a teacher might use such information if it was available? Do you think it would draw the teacher’s attention to aspects of teaching and learning that are otherwise overlooked, e.g. the importance of sharing one’s learning with family? On the flip side, could this kind of interpersonal data be possible with the kind of software and analytics used in most educational institutions? My sense is education data might usually emphasize more ‘mundane’ matters like individual student ‘performance’, and therefore draw the teacher’s attention away from the more social, interpersonal and relationship-based aspects of teaching and learning. What’s your sense?

Hey Ben,
I think that is a great aspect you just pulled out. Such data in the hands of the teacher will definitely spark conversation around the value of sharing knowledge and the effect it can have when it is with family and friends. Additionally, it is almost impossible to capture such perspectives of data with the kinds of software used in learning institutions because they are more concerned with the data around the LMS and other quantified elements of student learning. Like you said there is so much focus on individual performance that a blindspot has been created around other more social and interpersonal activities which equally influence learning.