Week 8 drawing

Work emails sent by Enoch on week 8

This week I moved onto a new direction for my data collection, and started looking how I as an instructional designer needs juggled between several domains of my work: teaching / instructional design, admin and research / scholarship of teaching and learning. This week I manually counted and categorised all emails I have sent during week 8. From this drawing, one can see that I was most busy with sending emails on Monday, and gradually reduced through Friday.

The number of emails sent as a parameter must be looked at with a critical lens, and ideally in conjunction with other parameters, such as timesheets, emails received, phone calls, diaries and many more. I can see that the number of emails sent is particularly weak at representing my research workload, as the few emails I sent on Tuesday and Wednesday were mainly myself communicating with a co-investigator about writing grant applications. It did not indicate the time I spent on writing the grant application itself as well as research manuscript writing. The large number of emails sent on Monday was primarily deal to back-and-forth emails.

The central message of this drawing is to highlight the necessity for a critical lens in collecting and visualising data for a teachers’ professional development. A lack of critical data literacy can risk serious abuse of data collection and analytics, leading to reductionist or downright wrong measurement of one’s performance or competency.

1 thought on “Week 8 drawing

1. Nice visualisation here Enoch – the envelope icon certainly provides no illusions as to what this one is about!

‘The large number of emails sent on Monday was primarily deal to back-and-forth emails.’

I think you reflect on the difficult to quantifying emails well here. When one is interested in representing where one spends their time, I often wonder whether it is the emails themselves that are important, or the work they are themselves representative of. Further, the key reason I try to avoid replying to emails is that it inevitably leads to more emails that need replying to!

There is also something interesting here about the decisions of what to represent – one can easily imagine an automated system deciding not to list all of the ‘back-and-forths’, but that would result in a very different outcome.