Teacher Dashboard

Dashboards

I don’t have a lot of experience using dashboards in education, I’ve only ‘seen’ a few in different digital educational tools we use at school, however, we don’t use them to evaluate student’s learning or teacher’s lessons.

An interesting teacher dashboard I explored (and discovered) this week were the one in Microsoft Teams. I was not aware all that data about the students, and me, was collected. As I was reading more about Teacher dashboards, I found and article online about all the data collected in the ‘background’ in Teams. The one for one of my classes looked something like this:

In ‘Insights’, Teams presents a very detailed collection of teacher-student data, anything from a quick overview of ‘active’ and ‘inactive’ students, and attendance to online meetings:

To how much time the students spent viewing each assignment:

This dashboard also draws my attention to particular students that I wouldn’t have noticed otherwise. For example, if a student regularly joins the lesson late, the dashboards highlight this with a banner and the student’s name.

Teachers (and administrators) are encouraged to ‘explore’ the data in more detail by clicking on the compass symbol. This opens a new window with a wealth of detailed information about the behaviour patterns, interactions and the ‘digital activity’ of the students in the class:

If one zooms into the data points, it’s possible to see an even more detail account of the student’s ‘digital activity’. The number of minutes they were on a call or viewed a file, the channels they interacted with and the files the viewed.

Building a Teaching Dashboard

Due to time limitations, I decided to create a very basic teaching dashboard using Excel to show simple descriptive statistics using the system’s automatic recommendation option (“Ideas”) to highlight how data recommendations can can affect the user experience, how data is interpreted and analysed.

Data recommendations in education can shape the way educators and educational leaders read and interpret data from the design of the platform, the look and feel of the user interface, to the ‘basic’ interpretation tools used to analyse data, which direct or guide the attention of educators to particular features or interpretations of the data.

System notices patterns and suggests correlations

One Reply to “Teacher Dashboard”

1. Wow, those Teams analytics are pretty granular! How useful do you feel these data are as an educator? Obviously, Teams was not designed a specifically educational platform, so what we see here is a kind of business logic of employee productivity measurement being imported by default into education. As you said, we’re often completely unaware that this level of information is collected about our activities, but over time you could probably make some powerful inferences about an individual student based on these traces in Teams. But I wonder about the ethics of all this data collection by default, and its longer-term implications for the ways teachers see and perceive and make sense of the students in their care.